SETTING: Light a candle as a symbol of hope that, with the prayer of many, there may come a flicker of light in a situation marked by despair.
LEADER: We gather uniting with the world community, seeking justice for all human beings, especially those suffering from human trafficking. Because of the abuse, the threats, the fear, the hopelessness, they are “VOICE-LESS.” The human family must rally in response to their silent cry. “Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously; defend the rights of the poor and needy.” Proverbs 31: 8-9
Together, let us stand in solidarity with millions worldwide who suffer in a situation of bondage. In their memory, let us hold a moment of silence.
LET US PRAY:
For freedom you made us in your image and likeness you created us, free to love and be loved.
- We pray against all powers and people that conspire to destroy your children’s freedom, trap them in poverty, steal their power, and render them vulnerable to systems and schemes which make them slaves.
- We pray for leaders and legislators, activists and agitators, and people of compassion everywhere, that they may bestrong and effective in their plans and actions to protect the vulnerable and secure their freedom.
For freedom you have redeemed us, to be restored in your image and likeness, Free to love and to be loved.
- We pray for children, women and men, the victims of human trafficking, tricked, trapped and trafficked into, out of and around our land.
- We pray for their freedom. We pray that in their captivity You will look upon them and give them hope. We pray for their liberation, healing and restoration into the perfect freedom of the children of God.
For freedom you are with us, recreating us in your image and likeness, free to love and be loved.
- We pray against those who recruit, move, harbor or receive children, women and men through the use of force, coercion, abuse, deception and all other means for the purpose of exploitation.
- We pray for those who work alone and together to discover, liberate and restore children, women and men who have been trafficked as salves. We pray they will be given all the resources of finance, time and strength they need as they bring freedom to the victims of human trafficking.
Three in one God,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, for freedom you made us, redeemed and recreated us, free to love and be loved.
- We pray your Kingdom will come.
- We pray justice and mercy flow like a stream.
- We pray freedom for all your children.
CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CLIPS TO VIEW:
- Child Exploitation – uses the quote Proverbs 31: 8 that’s in the introduction (2:21 min)
- Faces of Human Trafficking – has English & Spanish subtitles (1:00 min)
- “Beautiful Slave” – song (4:52 min)
- Intro on Trafficking in the World – English, Spanish, French (3:02 min)
- Survivors of Human Trafficking – UN Human Rights (5:34 min)
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION & SHARING:
- How does this situation/information affect me?
- What do I learn from this?
- Given this information/these insights, what could I bring to others or do for others to help “put out this fire?”
IN CLOSING: Standing around the candle, each person forms a heart with his/her hands. The symbol is an offering of hope for all the trafficking victims. Keep a moment of silence.
LET US PRAY: Merciful God, we offer you our prayer of hope. May all victims of trafficking find comfort in the shelter of your embrace and strength in the power of your name. Amen.
LATER YOU MIGHT:
- Bring this topic of conversation with another person/group.
- Before you buy, check to see if your purchases were made using forced labor. You can check here.
- Join world religious leaders by signing their declaration to end slavery.